MONTPELIER — Last night a fire broke out at Morse Farm's gift shop.
No one was injured and no structural damage was reported.
At around 9 p.m., Betsy Morse saw flames shooting out of the gift shop chimeny. She called her brother-in-law Elliott Morse, who high-tailed it over to the store and put out the fire.
Elliott's a 47-year veteran of the East Montpelier Fire Department.
He was able to knock back fire in the boiler room and get it under control.
The fire departments from East Montpelier, Montpelier, Plainfield, Berlin and Barre Town all showed up and the chimney fire was extinguished.
The likely culprit, East Montpelier Fire Chief John Audy said, is a malfunctioning wood boiler. Firefighters were able to stabilize the overheated and over-pressurized boiler.
Had the fire started a couple of hours latter when everyone was sleeping, Audy said, it could have been a lot worse.
The maple creemees are safe.
This is the last weekend sugar on snow will be served at Morse Farm.